Friday, April 25, 2008

Frankenstein's Monster Bust [Unfinished]


-For the Monster Show I've decided to go with a more "classical" monster theme. I've chosen a few bust to complete, two of them featuring the "King of Horror" himself, Boris Karloff. The first being his most famous role as Frankenstein's monster of the black & white, 1931 film: Frankenstein. Hopefully, once its hollowed, and completed with firing I am choosing to paint it similar to Basil Gogo's horror film paintings. His use of color and technique are beautiful and would look awesome on this piece. Some other concepts that will hopefully follow: 1932 version of The Mummy, again featuring Boris Karloff, then possibly a stylized Bride of Frankenstein, and a large dragon bust estimated to be approx. 4 ft high.
-This piece had a neck and shoulders, though it got a little too wet, and due to the weight it dropped off, I'm in the process now of reattaching it. The Bust itself is a bit larger than life-size, originally I wanted it to be about three-times larger than a human cranium, But the armature I made would not support that kind of weight. [I estimated around 30 to 40 lbs of wet clay. Now its only about 20 to 25 lbs.] Let me know how it's looking kids!

No comments: